Saturday, November 15, 2008

Look with your hands.

Nicholas can't find anything. He can't find his nose on his face. Nevermind the needle in the haystack, he can't find the haystack.

"Mom, I can't find my jacket!" he calls from the basement (where the racket emanating sounds more like playing than looking.) The jacket, bright red and smack-dab in the middle of the couch, is right where he left it.

"Where is my wand?"
"Look in the van, didn't you leave it in there?"
"I looked there!"
"Look again."
"I looked again, it's not there!"
Next day, as we're getting in the van to go to school: "There's my wand!" (plain as day.)

"Nicholas, put your shoes on."
"Where are they?"
"Try the floor next to your feet."

You get the picture.

However.

Several weeks ago, after our trip to Chicago, I couldn't find my glasses. I wear contacts most of the time, but especially early in the morning and in the evening, I like to take out my contacts and wear my glasses. And my eyesight is bad enough that if I have no glasses, and I take out my contacts, that's it. My only options are read (I can see close up) or go to sleep. So when I got home and couldn't find my glasses, it was a crisis. I looked. I unpacked. I looked some more. I emailed my friend with whom we had stayed the last night (I knew I had had them at her house.) She looked, but didn't find them. I went through all the suitcases again. No glasses. I considered getting some new glasses, but they are not cheap and I just couldn't resign myself to the fact that they were gone. Had my friend really looked hard? (I knew she had.) Should I look through the suitcases again? (They had been all put away.) Where could they be?

Yesterday, I pulled out a tote bag for Nicholas to pack as he was spending the night with my sister. Ironically, I got the tote bag out because NICHOLAS COULDN'T FIND HIS SUITCASE :).
He was packing his clothes when he came running in holding my glasses. Yes, they were in a pocket of the tote. The whole time. And Nicholas (aka, "These Glasses Are Just for Show") had found them. By looking with his hands.

Thanks Nickel!


No comments:

Post a Comment